RegisterFly update: 8 May

by Kieren McCarthy on May 8, 2007

This is an update on the ongoing situation with registrar RegisterFly.

On Wednesday 2 May 2007, ICANN asked for RegisterFly to be found in contempt for failing to comply with the preliminary injunction issued on 26 April 2007.

If approved at a court hearing this week, the contempt order will enable ICANN to seize from RegisterFly the data needed to effect a full and complete transfer of the company’s domains to other registrars.

In the meantime, ICANN has received four expressions of interest for the transfer provider role it outlined recently. Once selected, the transfer provider will contact each RegisterFly customer affected and provide them with details to move their domain to a new registrar of their choice.

ICANN expects to receive full and complete applications for the role this week and will make a decision very shortly afterwards.

Working with registries

ICANN is also working with registries to make the transfer process as smooth and efficient as possible. With regard to the thousands of domains affected by the “ProtectFly” proxy registration system, where the registrants’ actual names are not included in the domain’s records and so swift transfer is more difficult, ICANN is doing all it can to gain access to registrants’ full details for those domains. If this proves not to be possible, a system will be introduced to enable registrants to authenticate themselves and regain access where necessary.

At the same time, ICANN continues to urge RegisterFly to co-operate with a bulk transfer of all RegisterFly registrations to a different ICANN-accredited registrar. Such a transfer would benefit registrants since it would eliminate the necessity for the transfer provider discussed above.

ICANN continues to act with all due haste and with registrants’ best interests at heart. We will keep registrants’ informed of any significant events as they happen this week on this blog and on ICANN’s public participation site.

Are you a RegisterFly customer caught up in the situation?

ICANN has produced an extensive and regularly updated FAQ in order to provide answers to the most asked questions. Due to the large number of people affected, we would ask that you please read this FAQ before posting queries or contacting staff as it should provide the answer you are looking for and also free up time for ICANN staff to tackle the core problems with RegisterFly.

If you feel that a vital question is missing, please formulate it and post it in a comment below and we will endeavour to answer it. If the question is likely to of use to a wider group of people, we will add it to the FAQ.

Abdul 05.08.07 at 10:33 am

I have some very valuable domains that RegisterFly hijacked out of my account by changing the contact information to their own and changing the contact email addresses, and actually moving the domain out of my RegisterFly account.They changed Whois Records for those domains, registerfly only put their contact and no real contacts. Registerfly had replaced my email address on the domains with support@registerfly.com no real admin contacts.
They don’t reply my support request.

Carl 05.08.07 at 11:21 am

I have around 50 domains with Regesterfly. Many are due for renewal or have just expired due to these problems. What do I do?

Also, as of a week ago, their system was still allowin g names to be sold. I know because I bought one. Now, of course, I cannot make any changes to its settings.

Phill K 05.08.07 at 11:33 am

I have a domain name that was apparently taken out of my account and given to someone else. It did not delete or expire. I would like to see some mechanism by which I could recover this domain name.

Mike 05.08.07 at 4:00 pm

I’m in the same position as Carl above, one of my names expired recently and I’m unable to renew it, I dont want to lose this name and I cant do a thing… what happens if the name goes into Registrar Hold or even worse Grace Period… this isnt fair one bit.

Mike 05.09.07 at 2:32 am

Well, I read that are expired names wont be dropped, thats great but the problem is, for example, my Domain was a developed site receiving steady traffic, Alexa ranked and PR climbing… I’m sure that after 1 month downtime I will lose all the hard work I’ve put into my once active site.

Again, there isnt a darn thing I can do on my end to stop this from happening… unfair to say the least.

Janna 05.09.07 at 2:56 am

I too am registered with RegisterFly and my domain expired during this mess and they are now using my site for a parking lot of links. This is my name, my business, this is me. I have worked hard to build my business and it breaks my heart to see someone else using it. I want my domain back!

Susan Gilbert 05.09.07 at 3:06 pm

What happens if an account (like mine) has no domains showing, when in fact, I can prove registration and ownship of 50 domains?

No one will be contacting me, right?

How do I get on the list of the new registrar(s)?

A reply here in this blog would be greatly appreciated.

Susan

jim 05.09.07 at 9:59 pm

ICANN this is ridiculous. You need to do a better job answering these questions. I have some domains that expired about 3 weeks ago? what do I do? I’m desperate at this point

Kieren McCarthy 05.10.07 at 1:11 am

Jim,

I have added the following text to the main post above. I hope this goes some way to answering your concerns.

————

Are you a RegisterFly customer caught up in the situation?

—————————–

Kieren McCarthy
General manager of public participation, ICANN

George 05.10.07 at 1:12 pm

What took you guys so long to act on registerfly? I just found out about this whole mess last week.

I have 5 domains registered with them. One domain just expired last week. Two domains are locked up. And the other two have been hijacked.

As a result, I am unable to transfer any of them.

You guys at ICANN have failed to protect the consumers. ICANN should return all the domain registration fees collected back to us, the victims of registerfly.

George

Michael 05.10.07 at 4:03 pm

Nice to see an update the day before court, but what about the day after? What happened Wednesday at 10:00am? What about the Civil Contempt Sanctions?

Linda 05.10.07 at 8:50 pm

I have one domain that has been tied up for four months by Registerfly and have already followed all of your suggestions in your FAQ section. The vital answer missing in your FAQ’s is a method of contact whereby someone actually responds. Not only do I have unanswered support tickets that are months old, but several tickets that simply disappeared. Emailing support and/or compliance are totally ignored. For over a month, I’ve emailed compliance@registerfly.com every two days, as was suggested by ICANN.. no response. I’ve taken the time to go through all my spam folders.. which receive an excess of 600 daily, making sure I haven’t missed a response.. but there just haven’t been any.

I’m glad to see their accredidation is gone. I won’t be satisfied until I have my last remaining domain with them with another registrar and I’d be happier yet if someone pulled their site offline permanently. I would think all that Registerfly has done to their customers, including fraud, theft and causing loss of income to many, would deem them unfit to legally continue operating online.

Linda

Steve/Joe 05.11.07 at 6:17 am

We and many of our associates have the same problem with the
many ongoing pre-meditated acts of attempted theft, if you like disclose a contact telephone and a best time to call and perhaps we can include you in our underway legal plan of action.

Mike G 05.11.07 at 7:17 am

I’ve been able to get 4 out of 6 domains out of RF (thanks to this blog and other forums around the net), but unfortunately the most important one is still locked.

Like Linda, I have followed the advice of notifying them every 2 days and haven’t been successful despite 6 attempts.

This particular domain has recently expired (5/6) and I can no longer change any of it within RF’s console (once it’s expired, you can’t access it). I tried renewing it (knowing that it wouldn’t *really* renew it) to get access back, but the payment failed. I can’t even change the nameserver to a new host.

The name still resolves to my host as it should, but what happens at the end of 45 days? Will it go into Pending Delete or has that been extended?

Karl 05.11.07 at 6:51 pm

WHO IS RUNNING THE SHOW HERE, I am totally amazed that even though this has been going on for so long that the ICANN website listing accredited ICANN Registrars still Lists REGISTERFLY, see for yourself;
Since I believe ICANN is supposed to watching out for Us That would be One Place that should have already been updated. Yes I know that it may be an oversight but it is misleading to say the least, PLEASE get this Updated so More People don’t get stuck in this Mess!
Thanks, Karl