Vint Cerf says: ICANN needs YOU!

by ICANN Blog on May 7, 2007

Vint Cerf, Internet founder, has spoken candidly about the future of ICANN as his chairmanship draws to a close, asking for people with a “passion for the Internet” to apply. ICANN’s Nominating Committee is still accepting applications for key roles within the organisation and its site can be found at http://nomcom.icann.org.

Download the interview
We have made the interview available in four formats: Windows’ media player; MPEG4; Apple’s QuickTime and iPod video. Click on the links below to download them to your machine (right-click and save the link to be able to save the file in a specific spot on your computer)

Windows Media (72.9MB) | MPEG4 (20.4MB)
QuickTime (132.0MB) | iPod video (54.0MB)

kenneth chelimo 05.09.07 at 4:21 am

Its great to hear the encouragement from our respected founder of the internet vint cerf encouraging those with passion for the internet to apply to be part of the coordinating team of the internet in the world. Some of us in the develioping countries with burning interest for the internet should be given priority as part of empowering developing countries. Iam keen in attending the next public meeting in Puerto Rico if sponsored and apply for a key position to strongly put forward the case of developing countries especially Africa. Thanks

Ken Chelimo
National Coordinator
Kenya Network of Telecentres (KenTel)

Kieren McCarthy 05.09.07 at 7:24 am

Hi Ken,

Very glad to hear it. Do please note though that the deadline for applications is 18 May – so just 11 days away.

Kieren

kenneth chelimo 07.17.07 at 12:29 am

I wish to volunteer my services to ICANN. I hold a masters degree in information studies and have over 10 years experience in journalism, PR, customer service and Information and communications. Iam currently unattached but volunteering as a national coordinator of Kenya Network of Telecentres promotimg use of ICTs and especially provision of cheap internet connectivity in rural Kenya. If given a chance to be with ICANN Iam sure it will really make me advance my career in promoting use of internet among disadvnataged communities in the world. Thanks and hoping to receive favourable reply from you.

Ken Chelimo
Mational Coordinator,

Kenya Network of Telecentres

Kieren McCarthy 07.17.07 at 12:42 am

Hi Ken, good to hear from you again.

You sound exactly the sort of person that would be a credit to ICANN’s processes. It sounds as if you are trying to find an entry point into ICANN – can I suggest the African Regional At Large Organisation?

You can find its website at http://www.afralo.org/, where there is a lot of information on how to get involved.

If this doesn’t answers your questions or if you have precise in mind that you wanted to help with, please get back here.

Kieren McCarthy
General manager of public participation

Ken Chelimo 08.17.07 at 2:22 am

Hi Kieren,

Thanks alot for your advice. I have tried to contact AFRALO but in vain. I would have wished to work with ICANN especially in the area of promoting use of internet among porr and disadvantaged people in the world especially those in developing countries. My interest is making people appreciate the importance and significance of internet as a socio-economic tool and bridging the digital divide between the rich and the poor and between developed and developing nations. I would appreciate any assistance from you and will iam ready to take the offer anytime if considered as Iam currently unattached. I appreciate your concern for noticing my passion for developing the internet in the world. Cheers.

Ken Chelimo
National Coordinator
Kenya Network of Telecentres

Kieren McCarthy 08.20.07 at 1:18 am

I’m a little concerned about AFRALO not getting back to you, Ken.

I will look into it.

Kieren McCarthy
General manager of public participation

Ken Chelimo 09.20.07 at 11:51 pm

Dear Kieren,

Hope you are fine. Iam still waiting for your word on how I can be part of ICANN and specifically how I can render my services to ICANN. Iam still willing to work as a volunteer for ICANN from any location or if there is any suitable position then it will be fine for me. Thanks.

Ken

ken chelimo 10.01.07 at 11:23 pm

Hi Kieren,

Hope you are fine. Iam still waiting for your response and further guidance on how I can be involved with ICANN. Thanks.

Ken Chelimo

Kieren McCarthy 10.02.07 at 1:54 pm

Hi Ken,

I’m very sorry I’ve not got back to you before now.

There are several things you can do with respect to getting involved with ICANN. First, as I noted, is to get in touch with the African RALO. You wrote that they have not responded to you. If that is still the case, please contact either Nick Ashton-Hart at ICANN, who oversee the ALAC set-up, or Anne-Rachel Inne, who is ICANN’s regional manager for Africa.

Their emails are firstname.lastname@icann.org.

Of course there is the meeting in Los Angeles at the end of this month, that I would be very happy to see you at. Or if you can’t make it you can still participate online.

See the dedicated website for the meeting here: http://losangeles2007.icann.org/

And then there are the everday ways to get involved – for example reading the background on issues and then making a public comment on aspects of ICANN’s work – you can see everything that is out for public comment at the moment at this webpage: http://www.icann.org/public_comment/.

I hope this gives you several useful start points, and I’m sorry again for taking so long to reply.

Kieren

Ken Chelimo 10.04.07 at 9:29 pm

Dear Kieren,

Thanks for your mail. Iam still waiting for a word from AFRALO. They have not yet replied to my request. I applied for fellowship to attend LA ICANN public meeting but they have not responded to me so Iam not sure whether I will attend. I will try the other options you gave me to participate and hope you will inform me of arising opportunities. Thanks.

Ken