ICANN Request for Information on Domain Tasting

by Patrick Jones on August 22, 2007

The GNSO is currently conducting fact-finding on domain tasting. ICANN posted a Request for Information on 10 August, and information may be submitted through 15 September 2007. Comments may be submitted to rfi-domaintasting@icann.org and viewed at http://forum.icann.org/lists/rfi-domaintasting/. Answers and information can also be submitted to the survey at https://www.bigpulse.com/872i.

For background, please see the Issues Report on Domain Tasting.

cho0b 08.22.07 at 10:34 am

“In view of the increase in domain tasting”

How long has domain tasting been a big deal in the domain industry? I know that I heard there’s more domains tasted a year than there is domains registered legit to normal users like me. Shouldn’t this have been considered a problem from the beginning?

Dave 08.23.07 at 7:43 am

I would like to thank ICANN for the opportunity to provide some input. I think the testers should pay for EVERY domain they test and at least 25cents. Will it destroy the testing industry? Hopefully. Tester do NOT create any value to the internet community. They are simply generating cash plan and simple and stopping development of websites that might actually be of value. Sure the percentage of people who actually will create a real website will be small but the testers are doing nothing of value besides generating some cash for themselves. I had a domain tested FIVE different times during one drop before it became available to register.

Tromso 08.23.07 at 1:02 pm

cho0b writes: “How long has domain tasting been a big deal in the domain industry? ”

Bob Parsoms CEO of GoDaddy.com registrar says he first wrote to ICANN about the problem in October 8, 2004.

See his blog from May 10th 2006 for his comment about “domain kiting” ie. serial “domain tasting”.

I also thank ICANN for starting to deal with this issue and allowing some public comments, but have been having problems submitting comments by email – didn’t get a confirm email from one email account despite repeated attempts over several days, but managed to get a confirm email from a new email account.
Reports of the problem to comments(at)icann[dot]org also failed with error message “pechora.icann.org[208.77.188.38] said: 550
> 5.1.1 > … User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)” from both email accounts. So I’ve resent the problem report to the postmaster.

If I am not alone in having some problems, you might not get as much public feedback as you hope for. At least I see one new comment on the public feedback in the last week, so maybe the problem is fixed or intermittent.

cho0b 08.24.07 at 12:39 am

Yeah, but GoDaddy does plenty of domain tasting on their own. Why would good ol’ Bobby bring it to light when he’s.. you get what I’m saying.

Allister Barretto 09.17.07 at 4:21 am

Maybe, ICANN can enforce a rule wherein the registrant of a domain name cannot change the name servers till he has verified the domain name(after which he cannot avail of a refund) or till the 5-day add grace period is over, whichever comes first. So, basically he starts using the domain name after 5 days or after verifying it. The registrar is allowed to put in their default name servers during this period.

The process of verification may be a bit complex as registrars would have to incorporate it into their systems but the start-using-after-add-grace can easily be implemented where a lock is placed on the name server modification.

UGNN Safe Net 11.20.07 at 3:28 pm

I cannot understand why this has not been resolved a long time ago — or even how it became an issue in the first place. The fact that it has become so widly practiced, and is presenting such an “issue” for discussion suggests that there is some criminal interests influencing policy making and enforcement. Otherwise, it would have been recognized as a criminal loop-hole and shut down before it caused all these problems.

Research has been unable to prove that there are ANY ongoing domain tasting activities other than those for criminal purposes. Can someone put me in touch with an entity who is actually “tasting” bulk domains for anything other than criminal intent? (Note: ‘false’ search engine ranking, spamming and padding can be interpreted as “criminial” intent.)

Canvasing several dozen registrars I cannot find a single one who will allow our organization to “taste” domains. They all require payment up front, or with registration. Can someone tell me where to go in order to “taste” domains for the 5 day period?

Is this a restriction of trade issue — to be resolved in the courts? If anyone is required to pay for a domain prior to taking posession of it, then EVERYONE should be required to do so.

Those wishing to “taste” domains should pay up front, like everyone else.

If they decide they don’t want the domain after all, they can write for a refund.

Is there really any other way to handle the domain tasting issue?
Or, perhaps I should ask “Is there any other honest way to resolve the domain tasting issue?