The Middle East Strategy Working Group (MESWG) is pleased to announce the formation of the Task Force on Arabic Script Internationalized Domain Names (TF-AIDN). The announcement was made at the 2nd Arab IGF meeting that took place in Algeria between 1 and 3 October 2013. TF-AIDN is an initiative of MESWG, which focuses on technical issues and solutions to promote the deployment of Arabic IDNs. While the scope of work may change over time, the task force will begin by looking into the following issues:
- Arabic Script Label Generation Ruleset (LGR) for the Root Zone
- Second level LGRs for the Arabic script
- Arabic script Internationalized Registration Data Protocol and Practice
- Universal acceptability of Arabic script IDNs and variants
- Technical challenges around registration of Arabic IDNs and variants
- Operational software for Arabic script IDN registry and registrar operations
- DNS security matters specifically related to Arabic IDNs and variants
- Technical training material around Arabic script IDNs
TF-AIDN currently consists of sixteen experts from twelve countries and representing more than nine languages using Arabic script, including Arabic, Malay (Jawi), Pashto, Persian, Punjabi, Seraiki, Sindhi, Torwali, and Urdu. These experts have a diverse set of experience related to registry operations, IDNA/DNS, Unicode, law enforcement, and policy, and come from private, public, academic and community-based organizations.
Though the task force is commencing operations, it will remain open for membership. Those interested to join the task force on voluntary basis are requested to send their resumes and Statement of Interest (SOI) to: email@example.com.
Details on TF-AIDN’s membership and scope of work are available at: https://community.icann.org/display/MES/Task+Force+on+Arabic+Script+IDNs.
MESWG is a community driven working group coordinated by ICANN to foster community engagement and strengthen the DNS Ecosystem in the Middle East and Adjoining Countries (Middle East, North Africa, Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan). To that end, MESWG has developed a 3-year strategy and is currently in the process of implementing an action plan based on recommendations set forth in the strategy document. More details on MESWG are available at: https://community.icann.org/display/MES/Middle+East+Strategy.